If there is one thing that people are always trying to improve, it’s the appearance of their teeth. Over time, it’s not uncommon for teeth to become discolored from what we eat and drink. Coffee, tea, and even certain medications can discolor teeth.
But there’s more to teeth than how white they are. Some people may want to straighten their smile while others want to close the gap between their teeth.
Thankfully, cosmetic dentistry can correct many of these issues.
Read on to learn more about cosmetic dentistry.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry in Northside, TX, is a special type of dental treatment that improves the appearance of a person’s smile. Teeth that are chipped, cracked, discolored, or are misaligned can be restored with cosmetic dental treatment. The degree of restoration depends on the degree of repair needed.
Cosmetic dentistry services include:
What Are The Types of Cosmetic Dental Treatment?
Cosmetic dentistry treatment can be multiple procedures. Each of the procedures helps treat a specific issue. For instance, if your teeth are misaligned, a cosmetic dentist may suggest that you get veneers or teeth bonding.
Here is a list of some of the different types of cosmetic dental procedures that are available:
- Dental veneers – Dental veneers are often an alternative to traditional braces. Like braces, veneers fit over your teeth to treat a certain issue with your teeth. However, veneers aren’t for treating things like underbites, overbites, and crowding. Instead, they treat minor issues such as cracked teeth, chips, teeth that are slightly crooked and cover small gaps. Dentists make veneers out of either a thin layer of porcelain or another composite material.
- Dental implants – Dental implants are used to replace any missing teeth. Implants come in the form of small metal posts that are usually made out of titanium. They surgically place it inside of a person’s jawbone to replace a missing tooth and act as the root. Unlike dentures, dental implants are permanent and do not need to be removed for cleaning.
- Teeth bonding – Teeth bonding is a specific process that includes materials that are the same color as a tooth and are bonded to it. The tooth bonding procedure aims to fix teeth with chips, stains, or breaks.
- Dental Crowns – Dental crowns, also known as caps, are made out of a porcelain or acrylic material that fits over a tooth. These materials resist the pressure that comes with biting. Crowns are often used to repair teeth that have had too many fillings, aren’t properly shaped, or are decayed.
- Teeth whitening – Last, but not least, teeth whitening is among the simplest and easiest cosmetic dental procedures. Using various teeth cleaning products, this procedure aims to remove stains and can restore a pearly white smile.
The choice of what cosmetic procedure is ultimately up to the patient. However, your dentist may have to suggest a specific procedure to restore your smile, depending on the type of dental problem.
Suitable Candidates for Cosmetic Dentistry in Houston, TX
As with any kind of procedure, there are requirements that some people must meet in order to be a suitable candidate for cosmetic dentistry. However, it’s important to keep in mind that each procedure has its own unique set of requirements for candidacy. For example, in order to become a candidate for teeth bonding, one must not be a smoker and have several aesthetic flaws with their teeth.
If you’re looking for a reliable cosmetic dentist to perfect your smile, consider Lovett Dental. For more information about a Northside, TX cosmetic dentist, contact us today at 832.734.9452.